The theatre in the picture above was then built on the site and opened in 1897. It staged pantomime and variety shows, with a notable performance from a young Charlie Chaplin in 1906. This building was demolished in 1934.
A third Theatre Royal (right) was erected, again on the same site, and opened on 23rd September 1935. This huge Art Deco building had room for over 3,000 patrons in its lavishly decorated Moorish-style interior. The orchestra pit was built on a special electric lift so that it could ascend to stage level with the touch of a button.
Due to its massive size the proprietors needed to book star names to attract the necessary audiences, and the theatre played host to performers such as Gracie Fields, George Formby, Jimmy Durante and Judy Garland.
Despite their best efforts however, the theatre was in the main a loss-making business. With the increased competition from full-time cinemas and television making the business unviable, the Theatre Royal finally closed its doors on 30th June 1962. It was demolished and in its place was built Hawkins House.
The additional images in this post have been reproduced by kind permission of Matthew Lloyd of arthurlloyd.co.uk.